Louisiana Severe Storms and Flooding (DR-4277)

Designated Parishes: Acadia Parish, Ascension Parish, Avoyelles Parish, East Baton Rouge Parish, East Feliciana Parish, Evangeline Parish, Iberia Parish, Iberville Parish, Jefferson Davis Parish, Lafayette Parish, Livingston Parish, Pointe Coupee Parish, St. Helena Parish, St. Landry Parish, St. Martin Parish, St. Tammany Parish, Tangipahoa Parish, Vermilion Parish, Washington Parish and West Feliciana Parish.

Apply for assistance:

Online at disasterassistance.govCall 800-621-3362 (711 or Video Relay Service). If you use TTY, call 800-462-7585.Visit a Disaster Recovery Center.

Stay in Touch

After you apply, we may need to contact you to schedule an inspection or to get additional information to help process your application. Let us know as soon as possible if you’ve moved or have a new phone number.

Update contact information online at disasterassistance.gov or by 800-621-3362 (711 or Video Relay Service). If you use TTY, call 800-462-7585.

Returning Home

Mold may be a serious health risk so don’t wait for a visit from FEMA or your insurance company before you start cleaning up. FEMA inspectors and insurance claims adjusters will still be able to verify flood damage.

Remove flood-damaged valuables from your home. Take lots of pictures before your insurance adjuster visits.

Follow guidelines from local officials. Local emergency management contact information can be found on the Governor's Office of Homeland Security & Preparedness website.

Additional resources:

Types of Assistance

Sources of Financial Help After a Disaster• Insurance• FEMA• Disaster Loan from the Small Business Administration• Voluntary Agencies

Click here to view a flyer that explains the assistance process.

If you have questions about types of assistance available to you, the best way to get answers is to contact a FEMA representative who can walk you through your options. Call 800-621-3362 (711 or Video Relay Service). If you use TTY, call 800-462-7585. You can also visit a Disaster Recovery Center to speak with a representative in person.

Filing a Flood Insurance Claim

If you have experienced a flood, you can file your flood insurance claim by following these three steps.


After experiencing a flood, contact your agent or insurance company to file a claim. Make sure you have the following information handy:

The name of your insurance companyYour policy numberA telephone and/or email address where you can be reached at all times

An adjuster should contact you within a few days of filing your claim. If you do not hear from an adjuster, you can contact your insurance agent or company again.

Find your company’s toll-free phone number


Separate damaged from undamaged property. Your adjuster will need evidence of the damage to your home and possessions to prepare your repair estimate.

Take photographs of all of the damaged property, including discarded objects, structural damage, and standing floodwater levels.Make a list of damaged or lost items and include their date of purchase, value, and receipts, if possible.Officials may require disposal of damaged items so, if possible, place flooded items outside of the home.


Your adjuster will assist you in preparing a Proof of Loss (which is your sworn statement of the amount you are claiming including necessary supporting documentation) for your official claim for damages. A Proof of Loss can be many things, but must contain the specific details set forth in the Standard Flood Insurance Policy. You'll need to file your Proof of Loss with your insurance company within 60 days of the flood. This document substantiates the insurance claim and is required before the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) or insurance company can make payment.

You'll receive your claim payment after you and the insurer agree on the amount of damages and the insurer has your complete, accurate, and signed Proof of Loss. If major catastrophic flooding occurs, it may take longer to process claims and make payments because of the sheer number of claims submitted.

Find out more about filing your claim

After You Apply

What to Expect After You Apply for FEMA Aid• A call from a FEMA Inspector• A brief Inspector's visit• A decision letter

Within 10 days after registering, a FEMA inspector will call you to schedule an appointment.

During the Inspector's visit
Inspectors will:

wear official FEMA ID badges.confirm your disaster registration number.review structural and personal property damages.

Inspectors won't:

determine eligibility.cost any money.ask for credit card information.take the place of an insurance inspection.

Be ready to...
Keep your scheduled appointment.

Appointments take 10-20 minutes, and you must be present.Contact your insurance agent, if you have insurance.

Present these documents:

Photo ID: driver’s license or passportProof of occupancy: lease or utility billProof of ownership: deed, title, mortgage payment book, or tax receipts

Within 10 days after the inspector's visit, you will be sent a decision letter.

If eligible for assistance, you will receive a check or an electronic funds transfer.A follow-up letter will explain how the money can be used.

Loan Application Info:

You may receive a low-interest disaster loan application in the packet.You do not have to accept a loan but to remain eligible for other types of federal assistance, complete the application and return it.

After Receiving a Decision Letter

What to do if you disagree with FEMA's decision letter1. Read the letter carefully to find out why the decision was made.2. Contact FEMA for help with filing an appeal or any questions.3. File a written appeal.

If you disagree with the decision letter you received, you can follow the below guidance to appeal the decision.

1. Read the letter carefully to find out why the decision was made.

Do you need to provide additional information?

Insurance determination letter.Proof of occupancy or ownership.Proof of ID.Applicant’s signature.

Common reasons for the initial decision:

The damage was to a secondary home or a rental property, not a primary residence.Someone else in the household applied and received assistance.Disaster-related losses could not be verified.Insurance covered all losses.

2. Contact FEMA for help with filing an appeal or any questions.


800-621-3362 (711 or Video Relay Service available)800-462-7585 (TTY)

3. File a written appeal.

Explain why you think the decision was not correct.Provide supporting information and documents.Include your FEMA registration number on all documents.Sign the letter.

Mail or fax your appeal within 60 days of the decision letter date, or drop it off at a Disaster Recovery Center.

Business Resource

Louisiana Business Emergency Operations Center (LA BEOC) - This Business Status Map is intended for businesses to report the current condition of their business as either OPEN or CLOSED, and to enter comments that might assist customers. This map is provided as a public service and is intended to assist communities in recovering from a disaster or emergency by restoring normal business functions. The accuracy and timeliness of information within this app is the responsibility of the individual business owner or manager.

Ways to Help

For the Press

Manufactured Housing Units (MHUs) specific materials

Additional reference information and graphics:

Photos & Images

Survivors in East Baton Rouge Parish Clean Up After Historic Floods

Survivors in East Baton Rouge Parish clean out homes and line debris on the streets to be picked up.View from above of a large storage yard with trucks and rows of metal storage containers.

For even more photos from Louisiana please look at the whole collection.


August 28, 2016 - News Release

BATON ROUGE, La. – If you are cleaning out your home and removing flood-damaged materials, be aware of potentially hazardous wastes and dispose of them properly.Hazardous waste should always be separated from non-hazardous materials. Types of hazardous waste includes:Cleaning products such as bleach, ammonia, and polishesPesticides and repellantsAutomotive fluidsPaints, varnishes, and solventsBatteries, fluorescent lightbulbs, and items containing mercury

August 28, 2016 - News Release

BATON ROUGE, La. – If you have property affected by the recent severe storms and flooding in Louisiana, you’re encouraged to get the necessary permits before starting new construction or repairs.“The first step for any property owners in Louisiana who have damage to their homes or businesses should be to check with your local building official,” said Federal Coordinating Officer Gerard M. Stolar. “That official can work with you or your contractor to ensure any permits are properly filed and necessary inspections are carried out.”

August 28, 2016 - News Release

BATON ROUGE, La. – A disaster recovery center is opening Sunday, August 28, in Lafayette Parish to assist Louisiana flood survivors. The center is open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., seven days a week, until further notice.The disaster recovery center is operating at the following address and hours:Lafayette ParishLocation:  Lafayette Court (at University and Lee)                  301 West University Avenue                  Lafayette, LA 70506

Geographic Information

Map of declared counties for [Louisiana Severe Storms and Flooding (DR-4277)]

Financial Assistance Individual Assistance - Dollars Approved

Individual Assistance Definitions

Individuals & Household Program (IHP): Provides money and services to people in Presidentially declared disaster areas.

Housing Assistance (HA): Provides assistance for disaster-related housing needs.

Other Needs Assistance (ONA): Provides assistance for other disaster-related needs, such as furnishings, transportation, and medical.

Total Individual Assistance (IA) - Applications Approved: Total Individual & Households Program - Dollars Approved* Total Housing Assistance - Dollars Approved* Total Other Needs Assistance - Dollars Approved*
Total Amount 35,690 $249,800,655.90 $213,366,530.62 $36,434,125.28

Last Updated: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 02:02 (Updated daily)

Public Assistance - Dollars Approved

Public Assistance Definitions

Public Assistance (PA): Disaster grant assistance available for communities to quickly respond to and recover from major disasters or emergencies declared by the President

Emergency Work (Categories A-B): Work that must be performed to reduce or eliminate an immediate threat to life, protect public health and safety, and to protect improved property that is significantly threatened due to disasters or emergencies declared by the President

Permanent Work (Categories C-G): Work that is required to restore a damaged facility, through repair or restoration, to its pre-disaster design, function, and capacity in accordance with applicable codes and standards

*Dollars Approved: Assistance dollars approved but not necessarily disbursed.

*Dollars Obligated: Funds made available to the State via electronic transfer following FEMA's final review and approval of Public Assistance projects.

Total Public Assistance Grants - Dollars Obligated* Emergency Work (Categories A-B) - Dollars Obligated* Permanent Work (Categories C-G) - Dollars Obligated*
Total Amount $2,997,000.00 $2,997,000.00 n/a

Last Updated: Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 07:45 (Updated daily)

Related Links

Install the FEMA App

A badge reading "get it on Google Play" with the Google play  Badge reading "Download on the App Store" with the Apply logo

Original author: Federal Emergency Management Agency
Smoke, Skies, and Sand
Recovery Workers Stepping Up to the Plate Share Th...

Latest Videos

View all videos